Today’s Richmond Daily Dispatch profiles a Richmond Baptist college that is a newly-converted Confederate hospital, one of dozens of hospitals in the city treating wounded Confederate soldiers.
Richmond Female Institute. – This fine building, on 10th street has been taken by the authorities and is now being rapidly fitted up as a hospital for the wounded. This was in accordance with a tender made by its managers, placing the premises in the hands of the Government whenever its use shall become absolutely necessary. The examination and closing exercises were hastened forward to meet this contingency, and the session closed on the 5th of June. We learn that the session has been one which, under the circumstances, must be regarded as singularly prosperous. The number of matriculates was 175, and the number of graduates 8 – one on the full course, and the remainder on one or more studies. It is hoped that nothing may interfere to prevent the reopening of this noble institution next October, and that the proud banner which floated from its walls for almost the first time in Richmond may be free to fly again with glorious victory inscribed on its folds. Meanwhile, the poor soldier will be domiciled there, and with the beauty of the place, the cool tranquility and quiet of the situation, the unremitting exertions of Surgeon Bullock and his assistants, and the “attentions” of an organized corps of ladies from several of our churches, we may be sure he will lack no attainable comfort. Inspector Lovell has expressed his purpose to make a gem of a hospital, and the “natural advantages” with the preparations in progress, leave no doubt that he will be as good as his word. Only one patient has yet come in; others are looked for daily.
The institution is known as General Hospital #4 and Baptist Institute Hospital. By the end of September, over 500 patients have been admitted to the hospital. In January 1863, the hospital is converted to treat officers only. The hospital is shuttered in November 1864, and the following year the buildings revert to use as the Richmond Female Institute.
Source: “Richmond Female Institute,” Richmond Daily Dispatch, June 19, 1862 (link); statistics of Richmond’s hospitals, June 29, 1862 (link); chronological listing of news stories about the hospital (link)